Sunday, January 9, 2011

Class #2: Statistics

IT-223 Data Analysis (Statistics), this was a class I was not looking forward to. Not that I don't like math, but I struggled with calculus in college. Tried taking it twice with different instructors, but couldn't finish it. And that was back when I was in "school mode" with no other distractions like family or work.

The instructor, Dr. Yoseph Winograd, has a self-effacing sense of humor (about his age, weight, etc). He spoke with an accent, but was easily understood. His syllabus was organized well, which was expected from someone who taught math-related courses. 

This class is my only CDM prerequisite needed, since I didn't need the other four, and is at the undergraduate level. Others may complain that this is too slow, and I can see that, but I am more concerned about retaining information for my career than about getting an "A" and then forgetting most of it.  

Dr. Winograd explained that the textbook would help, but was not required. In fact, he said we could return them because we wouldn't need them. I have chosen to keep mine because I have a feeling I will be referring to it throughout my career. He also stated that we didn't need to be in class, but 10% of our grade was class attendance, meaning there is no way to get an "A" without showing up each week. My thought is that you are paying about $2k for the class, why not get your money worth anyhow? Yet, there were about 5 students that left after the break. 

Class started on time and ended 10 minutes early with no homework assigned. We covered basic communication methods, where to find necessary software used in the class, remote desktop log-in, etc.  

I am looking forward to this class as much as my HCI 440 - Usability Engineering class, but for different reasons: it is an individual effort class, vs. the group effort class, and it won't be as difficult as originally anticipated.

Next - My group is determined for HCI 440... stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog by accident and will try to keep up with it. I am currently a DePaul CDM student. Getting a Bachelor's in Interactive Media and seriously thinking about a Master's in HCI. I am in my 30s and have a family as well so I'm kinda in the same boat as you are. I also live way out in the burbs and it takes me 2 hours one way just to get to the campus. So I take several online courses (but not every course is available online, that is how I know exactly how long my commute to campus is. lol)

    Incidentally, I am currently enrolled in the online version of Mr Winograd's IT223. :-)

    Valeria

    ReplyDelete