Computer Science, Information Systems, Software Engineering, Human-Computer Interaction... this week, I spoke with two advisors, trying to determine which direction to go. While a Computer Science Master's Degree is a great direction, it will be the most intensive, longest and most expensive route. At my age, those are all aspects I need to consider to make sure the money spent is well-spent. That's why I want to make sure I have thought through all options. Unlike undergraduate studies, once I start my Master's Degree studies there are very few courses I can take regardless of the direction I choose. If I change my mind, then the courses I take may be helpful to my overall knowledge, but will not count towards my Master's Degree.
I spoke with Mel Caliwliw Johnson first, a Career Advisor at DePaul. She was very helpful and suggested suggested I contact various professors at DePaul. I was impressed by the time she took with me and it was obvious she was very professional. Her thought-provoking questions helped me to look at some areas I hadn't originally considered.
Next I spoke with Daniel Mittleman, an associate professor in Information Systems at DePaul. After spending 30 minutes on the phone with him, he suggested either Software Engineering or Human-Computer Interaction. Information Systems has the following specializations: Standard Concentration, Business Analysis / Systems Analysis Concentration, Project Management Concentration, Enterprise Systems Integration Concentration, Information Technology Management Concentration, Business Web Analysis and Development Concentration, Managing E-Business Concentration, Business Intelligence Concentration, Information Security & Compliance Concentration, Database Administration Concentration. After much thought, this direction would not be my first choice because it does not leverage my past experiences. It's advantage? It is the fastest and least expensive option (about $35000 and a bit less than two years).
Computer Science is the "gold standard" of the options I am considering with the following specializations: Software and Systems Development, Theory, Database Systems, Artificial Intelligence, Software Engineering, Security, Multimedia. The advantages would be my marketability, and the formal training needed to thrive. The disadvantages are that this would be the most expensive (about $45K) and would take the longest (three years if I took eight courses a year, or 32 hours a year).
Next week, I have four phone appointments with various professors and a recent grad in Software Engineering, Computer Science and Human-Computer Interaction. And there is an open house for all Computer Science graduate programs next Monday evening from 5:30 - 7pm.
I am hoping to have a decision made by November 1 and will start on January 3, 2011. Stay tuned...
No comments:
Post a Comment